Objectives of the Marmaray Project
When introducing major infrastructure projects such as the Marmaray Project, it is important to realise that it will influence not only the daily traffic pattern of Istanbul, but it will also influence the development of the city and the region.
It is therefore imperative that the objectives of the project are described in clear terms. The most important objectives are to:
- (a) provide a long-term solution to the current urban transportation problems of Istanbul;
- (b) relieve existing operating problems on the mainline railway services;
- (c) provide direct connection of railway system between Asia and Europe
- (d) increase capacity, reliability, accessibility, punctuality and safety on the commuter rail services;
- (e) reduce travel time and increase comfort for a large number of commuter train passengers;
- (f) provide an uninterrupted passenger and freight transportation across the Istanbul Strait;
- (g) reduce air pollution resulting from the exhaust gases and thereby improve the air quality of Istanbul;
- (h) reduce airborne traffic noise in the centre of Istanbul; and
- (i) reduce adverse effects on historical buildings and heritage sites by offering a potential for reducing the number of cars in the old centre of Istanbul.